Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A year without french fries

Last year, about this time, I heard someone say that they went the whole year without eating a cookie. I was really impressed and thought, what could I do that with? I picked french fries because they are probably the least nutritional thing I eat and I love them. The soggy ones, the ones that no one else in the family likes so they always gladly handed theirs to me. I like crispy fries, but I love the soggy ones.

At first it was hard, I felt deprived watching other people eating french fries. It put me in a bad mood eating with french fry eaters. This is dumb I thought, this self imposed french fry ban. So I ate some. I felt horrible. It isn't a sin to eat french fries I know, but I felt horrible. It doesn't matter to anyone else, my family might even be happy I am back to eating fries, but I felt horrible. I had let myself down, it is bad enough if someone lets you down, but I had done it to myself. No fry has made it past my lips since.

As the year has gone on it has actually become easy to avoid the fries. Since I have a pretty heavy hand in where we go out to eat we don't go to fast food burger places very often. Burger places have a lot of other options for sides now at no extra cost so it isn't like I am deprived. I have noticed that Dad and the kids don't order fries very often anymore either. Monkey see, monkey do? Maybe. Hopefully. I would love to report that we don't even eat fast food but we do, we switched to tacos.

Now I have to decide, do I or don't I eat them this next year? I am thinking probably not.

1 comment:

jugglingpaynes said...

Monkey see, monkey do...does that mean my youngest's vegetarianism might eventually rub off on the rest of us? :o)

If you need inspiration for giving up fast food, sit down and figure out how much you spend on it vs. homecooked meals. Our one indulgence is our weekly pizza fix. But that's because we're in the NYC area. I'm sure there's a law against not liking pizza in the NY metropolitan area. ;o)

Peace and Laughter in the New Year!
Cristina