Monday, May 30, 2016

Stacked Front Porch Planter


Most of the parts to the planter in the order from bottom to top of the picture how I stacked them together, I added one more saucer and pot not pictured. No need for all of them to be the same color, because I have confidence I am going to keep all the plants alive and they are going to thrive so much on the porch that no one will even notice the non white pots.  Plus I am cheap and there was no way I was going to go out and buy new pots for a project when we have a shed full of old ones. Wait, I'll just tell people, if they ask, that I am so green I reused pots from other years, that sounds better than cheap.


First layer, pot with saucer in it and upside down pot on the saucer.  Fill in dirt around the saucer and insert plants


Second layer is saucer, large pot then another saucer to make a planting area. By putting the saucers in the large pots it also took way less potting mix which would have added a lot of weight and money to the project. I will have to water it a lot more often because less dirts means it will dry out faster, but if I decide to move it I won't need two men and small boy to lift it.


View from the side, just keep adding saucers and pots until it is the desired height.


Top view, can hardly wait for the flowers to start growing and make all the layers full and beautiful!


1 comment:

jugglingpaynes said...

I think it came out great! I am laughing because I'm green myself, and also rather cheap. Now I'm thinking of ways I can stack my collection of old pots! I wondered if you put smaller pots directly into the soil instead of using the saucers, couldn't the runoff from the top pots help water the lower layers? Hmmm...

Thank you for your comments, I'm always happy to hear from one of my original blogging buddies!