Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Homemade Pop-Tarts


I would love to say that we found a healthy, you can eat it every morning, alternative to real Pop-Tarts but alas I know deep down that these are not it.  The only thing I can take comfort in is that it was filled with real apple from Grandpa Bob's tree making them taste far superior to store bought.

We made pie crust and rolled it out thin into rectangle.  Then we folded it in half and cut it into rectangles so the edges would match.  For the filling we put apples in the food processor to make them very finely chopped and then added cinnamon, sugar, and flour, same as pie filling.  Put a couple spoons of filling in each set of crust, fluted the edges, poke a few holes in the top and baked at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. 

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Maybe not "everyday" breakfast fare, but FAR superior to store bought! Looks good :)

Swimtaxi said...

My children LOVE pop tarts. I'll tell them about these.

Thanks!

Amy Dingmann said...

YUM!! I will have to try them with the boys. Then when Grandma brings over poptarts I can say "No thanks, we have our own!"