Sunday, January 17, 2010

Grandma saves the day at the Salvation Army

Our 4-H group served lunch at the Salvation Army. Since we needed to be there early to start cooking and set up, we ate lunch in the car on the way.

The menu kids choose was spaghetti, garlic bread, carrot and celery sticks and cookies. Each family was to bring browned ground beef and a couple of dozen of cookies and then the mom in charge of the project bought the rest of the items needed to complete the menu. When we got there we weren't sure which door to go in and so forth. No knowing if we would have to walk around to the front of the building we only grab what we needed and therefore left our water bottles in the car.

When we got inside we had to wait for them to finish their church service before we could start ramming around in the kitchen banging pots and pans. This meant we sat about 40 minutes in the front entry. Then when we did get to go into the serving part we were running around setting tables and readying everything. Finally, about 10 minutes before we were to start serving Spark wanted his water bottle that was left in the car. So out he went to get it and came back in. We served the meal, all sat down to enjoy lunch together and then had to clean up which took us about another hour.

Out we go to the car and Grandma just drove up to give Dancer her birthday gift and we were going to go to the nearest Wendy's for a soda with her. By now everyone else from our club has left. We get in and the car goes "click, click, click." Spark had left the door ajar when he went out for his water bottle. Thank God that Grandma was there because there really isn't anyone else around with a car, we aren't in the best part of town to just go up to the nearest apartment building and ask for help (which would have been quite a hike in itself) and it is Sunday where we would pay extra for a tow. She whips around, pulls out her jumper cables, Dad hooks us up, I say a quick prayer and the car starts up!

We didn't dare stop now for a soda because what if it didn't start again. Grandma graciously follows us home, and I say graciously because it is about a 40 minute drive one way for her, and we get there without incident. It was fun that she came to our house, we sat around eating peanuts in the shell playing Apples to Apples. Perfect end to an almost perfect afternoon!

No comments: