Thursday, October 21, 2010

Lentil Stew

We have been reading the book The Golden Goblet in which Ranofer, the main character, is sometimes lucky enough to enjoy a bit of lentils.  Not ever having lentils ourselves, we decided to give them a try.  I was some what hesitant on how it would go and wondered if I should have a back up dinner planned, I didn't, and everyone liked them, even having seconds.  The kids even offered up that they were so good we should have lentil stew again.  I thought they were good.  I wouldn't have sold my birthright for them like Esau did to Jacob, but they will certainly grace our table again.  Here is the recipe we tried. 

Lentil Stew

1/4 cup butter
1 onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped
1 carrot chopped
2 cups dry lentils
6 cups of water
1 pound of ham, diced
1/4 tsp. thyme
1 can diced tomatoes - I used frozen we had put up from the garden


Rinse the lentils to ensure there are no rocks etc. in them that could break a tooth.  Melt butter in pan.  Add onion, garlic and carrots and saute.  Add lentils, ham and water.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer for 20 minutes.  Add tomatoes, thyme and salt and pepper to taste.  


Simmer about 45 minutes or until lentils are soft and tender.

No comments: