Monday, August 15, 2011

Chocolate Chip Bars

Dancer and I were downstairs the other day going through our many book shelves to get rid of some books.  We need to get rid of a few book cases that were damaged when we had water in the basement and because we have so many books that the kids are too old for and won't read anymore.
 

As we were purging the shelves I came across this cook book, the Better Homes and Gardens Homemade Cookie Cook Book.  It is the cook book I baked from when I was a kid.  The date in it is 1975 and I remember selling them for a fund raiser, based on the date I would guess that it was for girl scouts.  It smells a bit like it is from 1975, hopefully if we have it out and use it will loose some of it's I'm from 1975 smell.  Grandpa Bob and Grandma Shirley were coming to visit today and I always like to send a little package of baked goods home with them since they don't bake anymore.  I looked through the book and picked out these chocolate chip bars that were marked "very good" in my childhood handwriting and another oatmeal cookie that my mother had marked "super good."


Chocolate Chip Bars

Cream 1/2 cup softened butter and 3/4 cup packed brown sugar.  Add 1 egg, 1 Tbsp. milk, and 1 tsp. vanilla; beat well.  Stir together  1 cup flour, 1/2 tsp. baking powder, and 1/8 tsp. each baking soda and salt.  Add to creamed mixture; beat well.  Stir in one 6-ounce package chocolate chips.  Spread in greased 9X9 inch baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.  Cool; cut into bars.

Spark tried one of these before we packaged them up and verified that they are "very good."

1 comment:

jugglingpaynes said...

I do chocolate chip bars when I'm in a rush. It's a great way to make a batch of cookies when you don't have time to scoop cookie dough. :o)

Peace and Laughter!