Friday, August 12, 2011

The Real Reason We Homeschool

Here it is, the real reason that we homeschool: I don't like to get up in the morning.  There I typed it for all the world to read.

That is not really the real reason, but after this week it sure ranks right up there in the top five.  This week Dancer was a day camp counselor at three day camps.  Each one started at 9:00 a.m. and the closest one was 20 minutes away.  Today she had a 4-H fun day that started at 11:00 a.m. and was over an hour away after we swung by to pick up a friend.  Now I know that for lots of people, including some homeschoolers, that this not early, but in our world it might as well have been the butt crack of dawn.

I even said to Dad that when women say they work because it makes them a better mother it doesn't apply to me.  I also do not want the "extras" that an extra income would bring in if it meant our family was on this early schedule on a regular basis.  We are just not morning people.  Probably why Dad works nights and why Dancer has commented before that when she gets a job she wants to work nights.

Here is 10:15 p.m. and Dancer has just started beading a necklace and Spark is just winding down to where he wants to talk.  Once he goes to bed, and he goes to bed early for our house, usually by 11:30, Dancer will want to talk or play a game.  I would miss all that if we were early to bed early to risers and these are some of my favorite moments of the day.     

1 comment:

jugglingpaynes said...

I'm right there with you on this. My kids have all their best conversations after 10pm! What would I miss if they went to bed at a "normal" hour?

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina