Thursday, December 15, 2011

Recycled Sweater Mittens


I made several pairs of these mittens for us and for Christmas gifts.  These sell by crafters around here for about $20 per pair.  With hand-me-down sweaters and one that I bought at the Goodwill, plus the fleece linings, six pair cost me about six dollars and I still have lots of materials left over but my Christmas list is complete for mittens.

The pattern I used was from Five Green Acres.  The largest pattern was the perfect size for Dancer but a bit too short for the rest of us.  I made the mitten about an inch and a half longer splitting the increase between the finger portion and the bottom wrist part.  I also made the thumbs a wee bit longer and found they fit the best of I trimmed them as close to the seam as possible.

These are really simple and would make a great first sewing project.  Super soft and warm!


Dancer showing off her pair. 

No comments: